Dr. Aimaro Sanna Assistant Professor
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 131 451 3299
Research Profile: https://researchportal.hw.ac.uk/en/persons/aimaro-sanna
Dr Aimaro Sanna has been awarded a Heriot-Watt University Fellowship (tenure track) in June 2014. His research focuses on the development of new generation catalytic systems for understanding and controlling the chemical transformation of biomass and wastes to fuels and chemicals and on bio-CCS technologies. He obtained his PhD in Environmental Engineering from the University of Nottingham in 2011, where he worked until June 2012 on the development of mineral carbonation technologies. From July 2012 to May 2104, he worked on low carbon technologies at the School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University. In 2016, as PI, he has been awarded an Innovate UK-EPSRC grant (£200k) on “Biomass Gasification with High Temperature CO2 Capture” (EP/P018955/1) and a Textile Future Forum grant (£100k) for a project entitled: Thermo-chemical valorisation of textile waste.
Dr Sanna has published 78 publications including 1 book as Editor, 3 book chapters, 35 peer-reviewed articles and more than 50 conferences presentations (3 invited) in the areas of biofuels and carbon capture and storage. (Citations: 1033; h-index:14; i-10 index:17). He is Managing Editor for ‘Fuel Processing Technology’ and member of the RSC, IChemE, EI, UKCCSRC and CO2Chem. Dr Sanna has been recipient for the Master&Back mobility programme award (2006), Italy, the Business-Engineering and Science Travel Scholarship (BESTS) award (2009), the Graduate School Travel Bursary (2009) and the RSC Travel Grant (2014). He is also involved in Chemical Engineering teaching (Process Industries A) and administration (School Liaison Representative).
- A Sanna, TP Vispute, GW Huber (2015), The Hydrogenation and Hydrodeoxyegantion of the Aqueous Fraction of Bio-oil on Supported Ru and Pt Catalysts, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 165. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2014.10.013.
- A Sanna, M.Uibu, G Caramanna, R Kuusik, MM Maroto-Valer(2014),Mineral carbonation for geological storage/Eengineering for carbonation,Chemical Society Reviews, 2014, DOI: 10.1039/C4CS00035H.
- A Sanna, A Lacinska, MT Styles, MM Maroto-Valer (2014), Silicate rocks dissolution by ammonium bisulphate for pH swing mineral CO2 sequestration, Fuel Processing Technology, 120, 128–135.
- A Sanna (2014), Second generation bio-fuels from thermo-chemical processing of sustainable biomasses in Europe, BioEnergy Research, 7,1, 36-47.
- F. Vega, A. Sanna, V. Cortés, B. Navarrete, M.M. Maroto-Valer (2014), Degradation of amine-based solvents in CO2 capture process by chemical absorption.Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1002/ghg.1446.