Elizabeth Bay PhD Student
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Office: JN 3.03
Phone: +44 (0) 131 451 4737
Elizabeth Bay is currently a Ph.D. candidate studying photocatalytic production of Solar Fuels at the CICCS in her final year. She joined the team in November of 2013. She obtained an MSc in Materials for Sustainable and Renewable Energies from Heriot-Watt, UK in 2013.
Her Masters dissertation explored modifications to titanium dioxide photocatalysts and their characterization. She is now continuing her research with improving photocatalysts; looking at the production of Solar Fuels and testing procedures that improve comparability of results by developing a framework of testing regimes. Elizabeth received her undergraduate training at University of California at Davis, USA in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Communication in 2011.
Her capstone project focused on improvements to the blade design of a 1 kW wind turbine. She has also passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam in California with a specialty in Mechanical in 2009.
She is a Teaching Assistant for Mechanical Engineering.
- Carbon Capture and Utilization, particularly through Photocatalytic CO2 Reduction for the production of Solar Fuels
- Renewable energies and integrating functional sustainability into modern life
- E.R.B. Bay, O.O. Ola, J-W.G. Bos and M. Maroto-Valer, 3rd IMPEE Conference Competition, “How did the Material perform? Normalization of photocatalytic reduction of CO2”, August 2015, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK
- E.R.B. Bay, O.O. Ola, J-W.G. Bos and M. Maroto-Valer , Carbon Dioxide Utilisation Faraday Discussion “Understanding factors affecting products formation in photocatalytic reduction of carbon dioxide” (poster), September 2015, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
- A. Olivo, E.R.R. Bay, E. Sanchez Fernandez, W. Thompson, M. Maroto Valer, E. Ghedini, M. Signoretto, 4th IMPEE Conference Competition, “The search for the golden age of CO2 photoreduction”, September 2016, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK
- W. Thompson, E.R.B. Bay, E. Sanchez Fernandez, M. Maroto Valer, A. Olivo, 4th IMPEE Conference Competition, “Reactor design, kinetics and process optimization towards solar fuels”, September 2016, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK
- A. Olivo, E. R. B. Bay, W. Thompson, E. Sanches Fernandes, E. Lesnik, X. Luo, M. Maroto-Valer, CRITICAT Advanced Photocatalysis Workshop, “Solar Fuels from Photocatalytic Reduction of CO2 via Engineering Innovation”, December 2016, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, UK