Muhammad Farooq PhD Student
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Institute of Mechanical, Process & Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, UK
Office: NS 2.26
Muhammad Farooq is a Research Scholar in Mechanical Engineering and currently; he is working on the activated carbon adsorption and regeneration for CO2 capture and low cost Bio-methane production from biogas.
From 2014-17, he presented research work at various International Conferences. In April 2017, he was invited as Co-Chair of technical session ''New trends in Biogas Production'' at 3rd International Conference on Biogas Microbiology, at Wageningen, Netherlands from May 1-3, 2017. He is Technical Committee Member of International Conference on Renewable Energy and Conservation (ICREC-2017) which will held during June 12-14 June 2017 in Perth, Australia.
He is a recipient of Travel Grant from UK ADNET to present his research work at International Conference Progress in Biogas held in Stuttgart, Germany from 8-11th March 2017. In October 2016, He was awarded a Travel Grant by the International scientific committee of ICEEES to present his research results at International Conference on Energy for Environment and Economic Sustainability at Lahore Pakistan. He is a recipient of travel grant from UK BBSRC for the oral presentation of his research findings at Biogas Science Conference in Szeged, Hungary held from 21-24th August 2016. In July, he presented his research at AD Network ECR Conference at the University of Birmingham, UK supported by BBSRC UK.
In June-2016, he attended 4th International Subic's Summer School on CCS Technologies-2016at Sotacarbo Research Center, Carbonia, Italy. In April-2016, he received Neilson Travel Award to attend the International Biomass Conference & Expo (IBCE) as Invited Speaker at Charlotte NC, United States. In Sept- Oct 2015, he visited Zhejiang University Hangzhou, China as Research Exchange Scholar sponsored by EU-CO2-TRIP Project for Clean Coal Energy Generation.
In Aug-2015, he presented research findings at International Bio-energy Conference in Valencia Spain. In June-2015, he presented his work at ADBA-2015 held in NEC Birmingham, UK. During 2014, he attended & presented at various conferences in UK including Super-gen Bio-Energy Hub Annual Conference-2014 at Aston Conference Birmingham UK, Energy academy Conference Edinburgh UK and IMPEE Conference Heriot-Watt University, UK. He received UK ESRN Travel award to attend UK Energy Storage Confernce-2014 at University of Warwick UK. He also worked as Volunteer Organizer for Scottish Carbon, Capture and Storage Conference-2014 at Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh, UK.
Carbon capture, Low-cost Biomethane production techniques, Electroconductive regeneration of activated carbon, Alternative fuels for power generation, Physical adsorption analysis, Energy management & auditing, Energy modelling.
Awards and Honors:
1. Recipient of early career researcher travel grant for the oral presentation of research paper at International Conference ‘’Progress in Biogas IV’’ to be held in Stuttgart, Germany in march-2017.
2. Recipient of travel grant by by International Scientific Advisory Committee of ICEEES to present his research findings at International Conference on Energy for Environment and Economic Sustainability.
3. Recipient of travel grant from ADNET UK to present at Biogas Science Conferce-2016, Szeged Hungary.
4. Selected for the International Sulcis Summer School on CCS Technologies, Sotacarbo Research Center of Carbonia (CI, Italy (June 28th to July 1st 2016)
5. Recipient of Neilson Travel award to attend International Biomass Confernce-2016, Charlotte, NC, United States as Key-Note-Speaker.
6. Selected as Exchange Research Scholar for the Clean Coal Energy Generation at Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.
7. Award of Travel Grant by UK Energy Storage Research Network (ESRN) to present at UKES Confernce-2014.
8. Award of Faculty Development Scholarship for PhD Program in 2013.
Muhammad Farooq, Alexandra H. Bell, M.N. Almustapha, John M. Andresen, Techno-Economic Analysis of Biogas Upgrading With Activated Carbon Adsorption, Anaerobe Journal (May-2017) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anaerobe.2017.05.003
Almustapha, M. N., Muhammad Farooq, and John M. Andresen. "Sulphated Zirconia Catalysed Conversion of High density Polyethylene to value-added products using a Fixed-Bed Reactor." Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis (March- 2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2017.03.013.
Tao Wang, Wei Yu, Fei Liu, Mengxiang Fang*, Muhammad Farooq, Zhongyang Luo, Enhanced CO2 Absorption and Desorption by Monoethanolamine (MEA)-Based Nanoparticle Suspensions, American Chemical Society Journal of Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2016, 55 (28), pp 7830–7838. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.6b00358.
Muhammad Farooq, M. Amjad, A. Qamar, F. Noor, A. Yousaf, Experimental Investigation of Performance Characteristics of Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel Blends Prepared With Ethanol. Journal of Faculty of Engineering and Technology, 2015, Vol. 22, Issue 1.
Muhammad Farooq, J. M. Andersen, In-situ Regenerative Activated Carbon Adsorption for Production of Bio-methane, International Biomass Conference & Expo-2016, Charlotte, NC United State